What’s the key to a great day of fishing? The right gear, of course! And when it comes to spinning reels, an open face design is a top choice for many anglers. Why? They’re versatile, easy to use, and provide excellent accuracy when casting. But with so many options out there, how do you know which open face fishing reel is the best? That’s where we come in. In this review, we’ll dive into the top contenders on the market and help you choose the best open face fishing reel for your next fishing adventure. So sit back, relax, and let’s talk reels!
1. Penn Pursuit III Nearshore Spinning Fishing Reel
DESCRIPTION: The Penn Pursuit III boasts a rugged graphite body and rotor that can withstand the rigors of saltwater fishing. The reel also features a powerful HT-100 carbon fiber drag system that provides up to 20 lbs of stopping power, allowing you to take on a variety of fish species. This open face fishing reel also has 4+1 stainless-steel bearings that deliver a smooth and consistent performance. The Pursuit III’s braid-ready spool is made from anodized aluminum, which is both lightweight and corrosion-resistant. The spool also has line capacity rings that let you know how much line is left on the spool at a glance.
pROS & CONS:
The Penn Pursuit III is an excellent open face fishing reel that delivers exceptional performance and durability for nearshore fishing applications. With its powerful drag system, smooth bearings, and braid-ready spool, this reel is a great choice for anglers looking for a reliable and versatile fishing reel.
2. KastKing Sharky III Fishing Reel
DESCRIPTION: The KastKing Sharky III features a robust graphite body and rotor that are both lightweight and durable. The reel also has an oversized stainless-steel main shaft and brass pinion gear, which work together to provide increased power and torque. The Sharky III is also equipped with an anti-twist line roller that reduces line twist and tangles, ensuring smooth and hassle-free casting and retrieval.
This open face fishing reel also features 10+1 stainless-steel bearings that deliver a buttery-smooth performance. The reel’s triple-disc carbon fiber drag system provides up to 39.5 lbs of stopping power, allowing you to take on even the toughest fish. The Sharky III also has a braid-ready spool that can handle braided lines without slipping or spinning.
pROS & CONS:
Overall, the KastKing Sharky III is one of the best open face fishing reels on the market. It delivers exceptional performance, durability, and versatility, making it an excellent choice for both beginner and experienced anglers.
3. Pflueger President Spinning Fishing Reel
DESCRIPTION: The Pflueger President Spinning Fishing Reel is designed to provide an excellent fishing experience to anglers of all levels. It has a sleek and durable body made from graphite that ensures that it lasts longer than most other reels in the market. The reel is also designed to be lightweight, which makes it easier to handle and reduces hand fatigue during extended fishing sessions.
The Pflueger President Spinning Fishing Reel has a smooth drag system that is essential for landing bigger and stronger fish. The system is made of stainless steel and carbon fiber, which work together to create a smooth drag experience. The reel has a high retrieve rate, which allows anglers to retrieve their catch quickly and efficiently.
One of the standout features of the Pflueger President Spinning Fishing Reel is its corrosion-resistant design. This feature makes it perfect for saltwater fishing, where the salt can quickly corrode lesser quality reels. The reel also has an anti-twist line roller that helps to prevent line twists and tangles, which can be a significant inconvenience for anglers.
pROS & CONS:
Overall, the Pflueger President Spinning Fishing Reel is an excellent choice for anglers looking for a reliable, high-performance open face fishing reel. Its lightweight design, smooth drag system, and corrosion-resistant design make it perfect for both freshwater and saltwater fishing. Although it may be slightly more expensive than some other models in the market, it is definitely worth the investment for serious anglers.
4. Daiwa BG Spinning Reel
DESCRIPTION: The Daiwa BG Spinning Reel features a durable and corrosion-resistant Hard Bodyz design that is made from a solid screw-in handle, machined aluminum housing, and an air rotor that is lighter and stronger than conventional designs. The reel also has a waterproof drag system and a dynamic cut aluminum ABS spool that provides a smooth and powerful drag performance.
The Daiwa BG Spinning Reel is equipped with a Digigear system that ensures a smooth and efficient gear train, while the 6-bearing drive system provides a smooth and effortless retrieve. The reel also has an infinite anti-reverse system that eliminates back play for solid hooksets and reduces the chance of line tangles.
pROS & CONS:
The Daiwa BG Spinning Reel is a top-performing reel that is suitable for a wide range of fishing applications. Its durable and corrosion-resistant design makes it a reliable choice for saltwater fishing, while its smooth and powerful drag system and efficient gear train ensure a comfortable and enjoyable fishing experience. However, some users may find the reel to be slightly heavy and the handle could be more ergonomic for some users. Overall, the Daiwa BG Spinning Reel is one of the best open face fishing reels on the market today.
5. Okuma Ceymar Graphite Spinning Reel
DESCRIPTION: The Okuma Ceymar Graphite Spinning Reel is a high-quality, lightweight fishing reel that is designed for all-purpose use. The reel features a durable graphite body and rotor, as well as an anti-twist line roller and a machined aluminum spool. The 8 stainless steel ball bearings provide a smooth and reliable performance, while the precision elliptical gearing system ensures a perfect gear mesh and maximum power transmission. The Ceymar Graphite Spinning Reel also features a multi-disc, oiled felt drag system that delivers consistent drag pressure and helps prevent line breakage.
pROS & CONS:
Overall, the Okuma Ceymar Graphite Spinning Reel is a great choice for anglers who are looking for a lightweight and versatile spinning reel that can handle a variety of fishing situations. While it may not be the best option for heavy-duty saltwater fishing, it is an excellent choice for freshwater and light saltwater fishing. The durable construction, smooth performance, and consistent drag pressure make this spinning reel a reliable and affordable option for all types of anglers.
Everything We Recommend
What is an Open Face Fishing Reel?
An open face fishing reel, also known as a spinning reel, is a type of fishing reel that is designed to be mounted below the fishing rod. Unlike baitcasting reels, which are typically used by more experienced anglers, open face fishing reels are generally considered to be easier to use and more versatile. They are ideal for a wide range of fishing applications, from freshwater to saltwater fishing, and can be used to catch a variety of fish species.
Open face fishing reels typically feature a fixed spool that rotates around a central axis, and are operated by manually turning the handle to wind and retrieve the fishing line. Overall, open face fishing reels are a popular choice for anglers of all skill levels due to their ease of use and versatility.
Advantages of Open Face Fishing Reel:
There are several advantages to using an open face fishing reel:
- Versatility: Open face fishing reels are versatile and can be used for a variety of fishing applications, from freshwater to saltwater fishing. They can be used to catch different species of fish and work well with different types of fishing lines.
- Ease of Use: Open face fishing reels are generally considered to be easier to use than other types of fishing reels, such as baitcasting reels. They are simple to operate and require less skill and practice to master.
- Accuracy: Open face fishing reels provide excellent accuracy when casting, making them a top choice for anglers who need to cast their line with precision.
- Lightweight: Open face fishing reels are typically lightweight and easy to handle, which is important when fishing for extended periods of time.
- Long Casting Distance: Open face fishing reels are designed to cast long distances, which can be helpful when fishing in large bodies of water or when targeting fish in deeper areas.
Overall, the versatility, ease of use, accuracy, lightweight design, and long casting distance are all key advantages that make open face fishing reels a popular choice among anglers.
Disadvantages of Open Face Fishing Reel:
While there are several advantages to using an open face fishing reel, there are also a few potential disadvantages to consider:
- Line Twist: One of the main disadvantages of open face fishing reels is the potential for line twist. This occurs when the fishing line becomes tangled around the spool, which can make it more difficult to reel in a fish.
- Backlash: Another disadvantage of open face fishing reels is the potential for backlash. This occurs when the fishing line becomes tangled around the spool during casting, which can result in a bird’s nest of tangled line that can be difficult to untangle.
- Limited Casting Distance: While open face fishing reels are designed to cast long distances, they may not be able to cast as far as other types of fishing reels, such as baitcasting reels.
- Drag System: Some open face fishing reels may have a less effective drag system compared to other types of fishing reels, which can make it more difficult to reel in larger fish.
- Learning Curve: While open face fishing reels are generally considered to be easier to use than baitcasting reels, there is still a learning curve involved, especially for beginners.
Overall, while there are a few potential disadvantages to using an open face fishing reel, these drawbacks can be mitigated with proper use and maintenance. Many anglers still find open face fishing reels to be a reliable and versatile choice for their fishing needs.
When to Use an Open Face Fishing Reel?
Open face fishing reels are a great choice for a variety of fishing situations. Here are a few examples of when to use an open face fishing reel:
- Freshwater Fishing: Open face fishing reels are a popular choice for freshwater fishing, as they are versatile enough to be used for a wide range of fish species and fishing techniques. They work well with light to medium-weight fishing lines and can be used for both casting and trolling.
- Saltwater Fishing: Open face fishing reels are also a great choice for saltwater fishing, particularly when fishing for smaller to medium-sized fish species. They are lightweight and easy to handle, making them ideal for long days of fishing in the ocean.
- Casting Accuracy: Open face fishing reels are designed to provide excellent casting accuracy, making them an ideal choice for fishing in areas with lots of cover or when precision casting is needed.
- Live Bait Fishing: Open face fishing reels work well with live bait, as they allow for accurate casting and provide a smooth and consistent drag system that can help prevent the bait from being lost during the fight.
- Anglers of All Skill Levels: Open face fishing reels are generally considered to be easier to use than other types of fishing reels, which makes them an ideal choice for anglers of all skill levels, including beginners.
Overall, open face fishing reels are a versatile and reliable choice for a variety of fishing situations, from freshwater to saltwater fishing, and are well-suited for anglers of all skill levels.
Factors to Consider When Choosing an Open Face Fishing Reel:
When choosing an open face fishing reel, there are several important factors to consider. Here are a few key things to keep in mind:
- Size: The size of the fishing reel is an important consideration, as it will affect the overall weight and balance of your fishing rod. Make sure to choose a size that is appropriate for the type of fishing you will be doing, as well as the size of the fish you are targeting.
- Gear Ratio: The gear ratio is another important factor to consider when choosing an open face fishing reel. A higher gear ratio will result in a faster retrieve, which can be beneficial when targeting fast-moving fish species.
- Drag System: The drag system is a crucial component of any fishing reel, as it helps to control the amount of tension on the fishing line during the fight. Look for a reel with a smooth and reliable drag system that can handle the size and weight of the fish you are targeting.
- Line Capacity: The amount of fishing line that a reel can hold is another important consideration, as it will affect the maximum casting distance and the size of the fish you can target. Make sure to choose a reel with a line capacity that is appropriate for your needs.
- Price: Open face fishing reels can range in price from relatively inexpensive to quite expensive. Consider your budget and choose a reel that offers the features and performance you need at a price point that works for you.
- Versatility: Consider the versatility of the fishing reel, and whether it can be used for a variety of fishing techniques and fish species. Some open face fishing reels are designed to be more versatile than others, and can be used for both freshwater and saltwater fishing, as well as for different types of lures and baits.
- Line Control: Look for a fishing reel that offers good line control, as this will help to prevent tangles and ensure that your fishing line is properly managed during the fight. A reel with a smooth and consistent drag system can also help to provide better line control.
- Materials: Consider the materials used in the construction of the fishing reel. Higher-quality materials, such as aluminum or carbon fiber, can provide better durability and longevity compared to cheaper materials.
- Weight: The weight of the fishing reel is an important factor to consider, as it will affect the overall balance and feel of your fishing setup. Look for a reel that is lightweight and well-balanced, as this will help to reduce fatigue during long days of fishing.
- Bearing Count: The number and quality of bearings in a fishing reel can affect its overall performance and durability. Look for a reel with a higher bearing count and high-quality bearings, as this will provide smoother and more reliable operation.
By considering these key factors when choosing an open face fishing reel, you can ensure that you select a reel that is well-suited to your fishing needs and preferences.
Maintenance of Open Face Fishing Reel:
When it comes to fishing, having the best open face fishing reel is crucial. But owning a high-quality open face reel is not enough; you must also maintain it regularly. To ensure the longevity and functionality of your open face reel, follow these simple maintenance tips.
First, after each use, rinse the reel with fresh water to remove any salt or dirt buildup. This will help prevent corrosion and damage to the reel’s internal components. Once you’ve rinsed the reel, wipe it down with a clean cloth to remove any excess water.
Next, disassemble the reel and inspect all the parts. Check for any signs of wear and tear, such as cracks, rust, or corrosion. If you notice any issues, replace the damaged parts immediately. Regular inspection and replacement of worn-out parts will ensure that your reel performs at its best.
After inspecting the parts, clean them with a mild soap and water solution. Use a soft-bristled brush to remove any dirt or grime buildup on the parts. Be sure to avoid using harsh chemicals that can damage the reel’s finish or internal components.
Finally, lubricate the moving parts of the reel with a quality lubricant designed specifically for fishing reels. Apply a small amount of lubricant to the moving parts, including the gears, bearings, and spool. Regular lubrication will keep the reel functioning smoothly and prevent unnecessary wear and tear on the internal components.
So, owning the best open face fishing reel is only half the battle. Proper maintenance is key to ensuring its longevity and functionality. By following these simple maintenance tips, you’ll be able to enjoy your open face reel for years to come.
In conclusion, an open face fishing reel, also known as a spinning reel, is an ideal choice for many anglers because of its versatility, accuracy, ease of use, and lightweight design. While there are a few potential disadvantages to using an open face fishing reel, these drawbacks can be minimized with proper use and maintenance. When choosing the best open face fishing reel for your fishing needs, it’s important to consider factors such as the type of fishing you’ll be doing, the size of fish you’re targeting, and your own personal preference.
We hope that our top picks for the best open face fishing reel in 2023 and our buying guide will help you make an informed decision and have a successful fishing adventure.